Saturday, February 02, 2008

Slice of Ireland, No. # 77


One of my tyres kept going flat. I think they call it a 'slow leaker'. Kind of inconvenient when I have to drive down to Drogheda Station at 6.30 every morning in the dark, be it raining, or frozen as it often is at the moment... Swerving along the country lanes, avoiding as many pot holes as possible, dashing through the middle of town avoiding the garbage trucks and milk deliveries, making it to the station in time for the 6.59am to Dublin, then rumbling along in the darkness listening to my Ipod, where conversations are kept low and most people try to get more shut eye. The same thing happens in reverse in the evening (dark again!) Everyone dashing for the exit at the station, trying to get home before their fellow commuters. And the same flat tyre is flatter still, so I creep the Peugeot the short distance from the train station to the service station to use the air machine, sometimes needing gloves, sometimes not (have you ever tried to get the screw cap off a tyre valve with gloves on?) So it was well and truly time to get a new tyre (or 2)...
Last Saturday afternoon whilst out shopping I discovered a place called First Stop Tyres... Very friendly, looked efficient, all good. I left the car with them and went off to look at some shops. They called me on my mobile. "You should consider 2 new ones on the front, and the one on the back..." Sure, I said yes to the 3, and thought nothing more of it. Back to collect the car a while later, and all was fine. Drove away thinking how good the service was. Roll forward a couple of mornings, raining again, slick roads, flat tyre... But the tyre shop had replaced 3 tyres on the car, right? Yes, 3 tyres out of 4, but not the 'slow leaker' which of course was the reason I went there in the first place. So much like many other unexplained mysteries here, I'll just have to go back and buy the 4th tyre too...
Clare went to San Francisco this morning on Continental. In fact, she's in the air right now as I write this, somewhere over Ohio, or Idaho, etc. You get the picture. I was hardly awake when she left this morning, much like she too is hardly awake when I leave for the station each morning in my car with the flat tyre. My morning commute is well worth it though, because I really love my new job at HP Dublin. Commuting to central Dublin by train is definitely the way to go when you hear the traffic reports on the radio every morning. Especially the days when the city grinds to a standstill (almost every day) thanks to some great motorway planning in the 1980's, when some of the pollies in Ireland were more concerned with collecting bags of money than ever believing that people would actually consider something like commuting (shock, horror), so the road (and rail) infrastructure in many parts is rather lacking. We're actually very lucky at Annagassan/Louth that we're in one one of the best served transport corridors around Dublin.
So Clare is back in Dubs on Thursday. I went up to Newry this evening to see the brilliant, if slightly baffling Coen Brothers "No Country For Old Men"... Thought about making it a double bill, but when confronted by the choice of "Cloverfield", "I Am Legend" and similar fodder, I decided to call it quits and head home. Now there would have been a time once when I might have happily sat through one of those movies, but perhaps my taste has matured and I couldn't stand the thought of another crap film. Tomorrow I'm off to Dubs for a Hash run. Bye for now.

No comments: